Sam Claflin did an on-air interview today with the UK radio station Future Radio, which his dad happens to work at. Sam spoke a lot about Catching Fire and Finnick. We took notes while listening to capture his thoughts:
- Sam didn’t read the books prior to his audition (he didn’t even know the books were a trilogy), but he was aware of all the hype surrounding the movie. Sam did do some research on Wikipedia to find information on Finnick.
- Once Sam got the part he read all three books in 5 days. He couldn’t put them down and said Suzanne Collins created great arcs for all the characters, not just Finnick.
- The pressure is on to live up to the fans’ expectations of Finnick. Sam unfortunately encountered some backlash about his casting. He heard positive and negative opinions from the fans on Twitter. Sam said he had to avoid bad press and focus to do the best he can in the role.
- Sam had a great time on set with the cast and crew. He met Francis Lawrence first and talked through the script, novels and first film with him. They talked a lot about developing character arcs.
- Since the movies are targeted for a younger audience, certain scenes couldn’t be exactly like the book – i.e., Finnick wearing just a net, nothing else, but Sam says he was still quite scantily clad.
- Sam thinks his American accent still needs work, but it helped being around the mostly American cast.
- In between takes the cast were quite mischievous, but they were serious and focused once Francis called action.
- On working with incredible actors like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Lawrence – Sam finds it intimidating, but wonderful being surrounded by them. At the end of the day they are just regular people.
- Sam said he was very clumsy with Finnick’s trident and had lots of falls while filming. He and Francis joked that they can fill a whole DVD extra of bloopers just for him!
Sam also talked about Pillars of the Earth, which was his first acting job, and how unglamorous his life is. Listen to the entire interview at Future Radio.
We cannot wait for the first trailer to see Sam in action! What do you all think after hearing Sam talk about Finnick?
Thank you to Sam Claflin Fans for the tip!